Monday, March 14, 2016

Conquering the Denim Deficiency

I had two goals over spring break: sleep late, and find a pair of jeans that fit. Sleeping late was no problem. Finding jeans, however, has always been a challenge. You see, I had jeans that fit me like a glove. But one day I woke up and looked in the mirror and noticed they had faded lines at the hips and embellishments on the back pockets, and it bothered me. I wasn't sixteen anymore. And I needed to dress accordingly.

Last week I wrote a post entitled An Open Letter To The Poor Woman Who Tried To Sell Me Jeans. It was prompted by a single shopping experience gone wrong, though I've had multiple similar experiences. My first problem was shopping in the same stores as my friends with different shapes. My second problem was letting myself believe I was a fat, repulsive outsider because I didn't look like they did, or fit into the same things they could fit in.

As dramatic as that sounds, I am not alone.

I am among thousands of curvy women who genuinely believe they are fat because they don't fit into the tight skinny jeans sold in stores and boutiques. And it couldn't be further from the truth.
After my meltdown in the jeans store, I had completely given up. It wasn't until I returned home, stripped down, and looked in the mirror that I saw the truth: I was beautiful. No, not like those girls in magazines, but I was so raw. I was real. I had a sweet, feminine waist with sassy hips to go with it. And for the first time in a long time, I felt like I had a chance.

Since given the glimmer of hope in an otherwise blackened perspective, I've been on a relentless quest to dress myself the way my body deserved to be presented. I deserved to be dressed in clothes that would compliment the shape I'd been given, rather than constrict it and distort it into something it's not. My thighs might look like sausages in skinny jeans, but they aren't fat. My underwear lines might show in straight-legged pants, but my hips aren't fat either. I'm not fat.

I'm just a woman.

So to all the women out there like me: the women who hate the girl looking back at them in the mirror, who spend way too long in the dressing room to cry, who can't find a single pair of pants to save their life; worry not. I have found a hopeful solution, because today... I found...

JEANS!
Notice all the jeans in the bottom of the picture that didn't work prior to the SINGLE PAIR that worked on my body. But aren't they simply gorgeous?! Look at those curves! And they're not pulling or tugging or almost ripping. 

I hate that it sounds arrogant to compliment my own body. But I will not apologize. It's not bad to be confident, and it's not bad to do a happy dance right in the middle of the dressing room (like I did prior to snapping this photo) because something looks amazing on your body. I finally found something that looked amazing. You can, too; you probably just don't know where to look. 

Bethany's Fool-Proof Suggestions for Slim, Short, Curvy Girls

Vanity
This was the first store I ever shopped in that I felt like I truly belonged. Vanity is a juniors store so you'll find a lot of jeans with rhinestones and bright stitching, but they will fit you perfectly. I'll admit it isn't ideal for women trying to achieve a mature and professional look, but if you've got a curvy teenager who's beginning to feel uncomfortable in her own body... Take her to Vanity!

Levi's 
Back when I was transitioning from kid to teen, Levi's were loose, faded, and ulgy. I'm not sure if they got better or if I grew up. Probably a little bit of both. But now, they are stylish and preferred by every curvy woman I know. Available at various department stores (JCPenny, Kohls, etc.), Levi jeans are available in multiple colors, styles, rises, sizes, shapes, and collections. You can shop by U.S. sizes (00, 6, 12, etc.) or European sizes (first number = waist, second number = inseam). I prefer European. What the heck is a 7 "Regular" pair of jeans anyway?? 

Joe's Jeans 
They're found at Nordstrom. They're nice. They're expensive. But they fit. 'nough said. (Make sure you search Curvy fit rather than Slim Fit. **Note: That doesn't mean you're not slim. Just means you're a woman.) 

anntaylor.com 
Even online, Ann Taylor jeans start from scratch. You find your fit, find your style, and then shop accordingly! You can filter your options in stores and online based on size, style, fit, and color. Your options are (almost) unlimited. 

Old Navy
Can I get a hallelujah?! I got those gorgeous knockouts pictured above right at our local Old Navy! Shop by style, color, size, and fit. They have three fits: original (thankfully not labeled slim or skinny...can I get an amen?!), curvy, and "rockstar" (supposedly good for all body shapes...we shall see). 


Got your own tips or suggestions for slim, short, curvy shoppers? Help a sister out! Drop it in the comments or shoot me an email at bethany@crayonstoconfidence.com to have it featured. 

Happy shopping to my slim, short, curvy beauties! 

No comments:

Post a Comment